Monday, March 31, 2014

The warriors among us

It’s strange phenomenon, how easily a veteran can pick out other skilled fighters in a mob of Belegrim. It reminds me of a senior in high school, intuitively spotting gullible Freshmen ripe for pranking. Of course, there are some easy indicators like impressive garb or armor, but even with nothing but street clothes and a sword in their hand, the battle-hardened of Belegarth are still obvious.

Despite this, I often get pegged as a fighter. It even happens among people who have known me for years, casually asking “Hey, why haven’t you gotten on the field yet?” At first I assumed it was just how much I talk about fighting, or maybe a few friends trying to be nice to me, and maybe that is still part of it. But it has even happened from those who have no interest in me whatsoever, who just see me sitting at the sidelines and assume I’d rather be on the field. It’s a logical assumption, I suppose - they’d certainly rather be on the field than watching.

In light of this, I thought I’d explore some of the ways I spot experienced fighters short of their prowess on the battlefield, to maybe understand what they see in me.

1) They are fit

This is more true for younger fighters than older ones. Not all Belegrim who are in great shape are also great fighters, but most great fighters are at least in decent shape. Older fighters can get by possessing a grizzled demeanor instead of fitness, having already passed their fit glory days.

2) They hold conversations about fighting during downtime

Most good fighters never really stop talking about Belegarth when they’re at practice unless they’re in the company of friends from outside of the sport. They swap war stories, give advice, and complain about their fellow fighters. The longer the fighter has been around, the more elaborate and exhaustive their tales.

3) They seem to be friends with many other experienced fighters

Even the most reclusive fighter gets to know others when they’ve been to a few events. However, great fighters actively seek out a challenge. They are always sparring the best they can find, so you can expect them to be on speaking terms with many other top-tier combatants.

4) They hold a sword casually and comfortably

As it turns out, swinging a foam sword isn’t a natural motion for most people. For some, it can take years before the weapon feels like an extension of their arm instead of an unwieldy anchor. The familiarity from hundreds of practice hours shows not just in the speed and accuracy of their shots, but in how naturally a sword rests in their grip.

5) They carry themselves with confidence on and off the field

Like most things in life, talking and moving with confidence can be all that’s needed to make people think you know what you’re doing. For most fighters, there’s a swagger that grows with their kill count, a visible reminder of their place on the battlefield. It is the same attitude that sends newbies running, even if the fighter is only carrying a shield.

Looking at this list, I find myself surprised by how many of these items apply to me, and maybe understand a little more about why I’m often mis-identified as a fighter. Strong posture, a good head for fighting, and a clear voice when needed can be enough to make you look like you belong on the field. And who knows, maybe I do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delivered by FeedBurner