Monday, April 7, 2014

Learning to love the stick jock

There’s a misconception out there that all non-coms are only at events to look at the pretty garb and complain about how boring fighting is while waiting for after-battle festivities. They love elaborate lore, fantastic duds, and intricate armor but hate the boorish, uncultured nature of the stick jock. Fighters who care solely about hitting people are useless, in their minds. Non-coms wish those battle-loving miscreants would just leave, so they could be left alone with a more beautiful Belegarth.

I admit, there are threads of truth in there. I do in fact want to see a more beautiful Belegarth, filled with thoughtful costumery that makes my jaw drop. But I also want to see more top-tier fighting, the full-contact, smart combat that has the potential to separate us from so many other battlegames. I want to see the sport part of Belegarth shine. And that means, I love stick jocks.

Starting in Numenor, I quickly gained a healthy respect for the stick jock. Sure, the culture of “sink or swim” fighting was a bit harsh and lost some good members along the way, but it produced amazing battles. There, at a realm dedicated to combat at the exclusion of nearly all else, I grew to love watching the field. I learned great fighting was entertaining fighting. From the sidelines I could sit and watch the knights fight for hours, learning the habits of successful fighters just by soaking up the way they moved, the decisions they made. I spent literally years going to nearly every practice, doing nothing but observing, listening, and studying, but I was never bored.

When I moved away from Numenor and tried to start a new realm with my husband, I was sorely disappointed by the quality of fighting. It made sense, we didn’t have many veteran fighters, but even nearby events seemed slow and weak compared to the rush of Numenorean fighting. It was a painful realization that for their inclusiveness and focus on having fun, they suffered a lack of elite fighters and newbies motivated to become the best. It also hammered home what “average” fighting really meant, a level much lower than I realized even after visiting both Geddon and Oktoberfest.

And so, I found myself missing the stick jock with his blinders on and sword always in hand. Although he could be blunt and tactless, turning away meeker Belegrim, he brought entertainment through his skill. He was the reason I fell in love with Belegarth, and I hope one day he will be the reason we can have a real “sport” and attract more fans. Perhaps the rest of Belegarth can balance out his fighting-first mentality and match brilliant combat with a positive culture.

To the top-notch stick jocks out there: thank you for your skill and dedication. You make Belegarth a joy to watch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Delivered by FeedBurner